1 2/3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups corn flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter
3/4 cups white sugar
3 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla essence
2 cups Dulce de Leche ( thick milk caramel)
1) Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2) Add the vanilla essence and beat to combine
3) Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating them into the butter and sugar mixture until fully mixed in
4) Add the baking soda and baking powder and mix again
5) Add in the flour and corn flour, and gently fold through until the mixture forms a dough. This part can get messy, and it helps to use your hands to form the dough.
6) Once the dough is made, wrap it in cling wrap, and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
7) Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper, and then using a round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
8) Once cut, place the dough circles onto a lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius until golden brown.
9) Allow the cookie rounds to cool on a cooling rack
10) Sandwich the cookie rounds together by piping onto one round, the dulce de Leche, and then top with another cookie round.
11) Serve your Alfajores with a cup of tea or coffee.