60 ml cold water
180ml boiling water
1 egg white
a pinch of cream of tartar
400g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
Desiccated coconut, to dust marshmallows with
- Add the gelatine to the cold water, and allow it to bloom.
- Add the boiling water to the gelatine, and mix well until dissolved.
- Pour gelatine mixture into a bowl, and add the egg white, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and caster sugar.
- Mix on high speed for 15 – 20 mins, until the mixture is white, airy, and almost double in size.
- Pour the mixture into a greased square tin, and allow to set for a few hours.
- Once set, cut the marshmallows, into squares and roll each square in coconut until well coated. For variety, add some crushed nuts of your choice, to the coconut mixture.
For flavoured marshmallows, replace the vanilla extract with an extract of your choice. Colour your desiccated coconut to match the flavour of your marshmallows.
Tip: For passionfruit marshmallows, you can add 1/4 cup of passionfruit pulp to the mixture while you are beating it, to enhance the flavour and to add texture.